Search current updates:

Pacquiao Versus Hatton

Friday, April 17, 2009

Manny Pacquiao taking Ricky Hatton threat seriously


Manny Pacquiao, currently the world's best pound-for-pound fighter, is refusing to take his forthcoming bout with Ricky Hatton lightly, admitting the British boxer could represent one of his toughest opponents.

Currently training in Los Angeles before the fight in Las Vegas on 2 May, Pacquiao said the outcome was not in his hands. "I don't know – God will know," he admitted. "Of course I'm hungry for this fight, to win, because [it's my] first time to fight an English fighter. Right now we're in heavy training and I'm in 100% good condition.He's a strong fighter and he's a good fighter too and he's a champion, so I don't want to underestimate him."

Pacquiao has spent time identifying Hatton's weaknesses, and believes the 30-year-old Mancunian has chinks in his armour – including his "body punch". "He doesn't like to hit the body," said Pacquiao, "I won't tell you the other things!"

Another boxer whose weaknesses Pacquiao exploited was the recently retired Oscar De La Hoya, who the Filipono admitted is still his idol. The former Olympic gold medallist revealed his decision to quit on Tuesday with a 39-6 (30 KOs) professional record, four months after being outclassed by Pacquiao in Las Vegas. "Whatever happens people won't forget him as a good fighter, as the best fighter in the world. For me he's still my idol," said Pacquiao.

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, meanwhile, echoed his sentiments about Hatton, believing the Briton to be a serious contender. However he does not think he is fast enough to upset his charge. "Manny has speed, power, boxing ability – so I think he will overwhelm Ricky in this fight," he said. "Ricky's a tough guy, no doubt about that. He's very resilient; he's tough. He comes to fight."

He also spoke critically of Hatton's trainer, Floyd Mayweather Snr. "He says he's the greatest trainer in the world but I think he's the only one saying that, and he's going to try and change Ricky Hatton," said Roach. "I think that's a mistake, in changing people, this late in their career. I don't think it's possible."

Asked if Amir Khan, who he also trains, would be sparring against Pacquiao, Roach said: "Style-wise he just wasn't the right guy." The former Olympic silver medallist Khan is set to take on the WBA light-welterweight champion Ukrainian Andreas Kotelnik in June. "The day after Manny's fight though I'll start getting him ready for his fight," Roach added. "I think he has a huge chance; I think he'll be a real champion and hopefully my next superstar."

SOURCE: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/apr/16/ricky-hatton-manny-pacquiao-boxing

No comments:

Post a Comment